Saturday, May 2, 2015

LIFE LESSONS i've learned from TRAVEL

Assalamualaikum wbt, my name is Siti Fatimah Zaharah Zulkapli. I was born and raised in Melaka, Malaysial. Currently, I’m residing in Olomouc, Czech Republic as a final year medical student in Palacky University, Olomouc, Czech Republic.


Traveling and studying abroad fascinates most of the students around the world. I started dreaming about it since i was little when my dad furthered his studies abroad in UK and he brought us to live there with him. Since then, i told myself that i will follow his footsteps (studying abroad) while fulfilling my dreams of becoming a doctor.
After 2 years of struggle, battling with IB (International Baccaleaurette) for preparation course in Mara College Banting, alhamdulillah, finally, i was offered to pursue medical school in Moravian region of Czech Republic, Palacky University of Olomouc.
14th September 2009 was a historical date  in my life timeline. It was the day that I flew off from Kuala Lumpur International Airport to Vaclav Havel, Prague, Czech Republic. And now it has been 6 years later. How time flies! Throughout 6 years of studying abroad in Czech republic, it has been one phase of life changing experience!
Let me introduce to you what are the impacts of  medical school on  me. Medical school was fun! But there's at times of medschool , that makes me feel like your head is going to explode if you try to fit one more obscure fact into your cranium. Well, here is some proof that it's possible.Let me show you some crazy statistics about the most complex and least understood organ in our body.
I know all you wanted to see it some more numbers and facts about the body.

Don't worry, there's no test for this....


At times medical school can become stressful and monotonous, especially during the first three years. Spending  days and nights with piles of material to get through before eat, sleep, and do it all again the next day. Breaking up the day with a quick run garnished with a bit of inspiration is just what you need to make the pre-test push. So if you beginning to feel the pressure of an upcoming exam or just need a little pick-up, look no more.

So if your medical school or your everyday life is anything like mine, there will be a constant buzz in the air about what to do during the summers and breaks. AND TRAVELING IS MY KIND OF ESCAPISM.

Cut to my life. Travel is my passion. To be honest, my neurons impulsively make me think of what and where places that I can find excitement and challenges. I have a strong and irresistible impulse to travel. I never feel more focused, fulfilled, or alive than when I am boarding a train or listening to the pilot welcome me aboard. Travel feels like home to me. Because of this passion I have, I travel every chance I get.

I have visited 33 countries on 4 continents. I had the opportunity to meet some of the most intensely interesting people on this planet and make friendships with people the world over. I was honored to be able to take in the sites, sounds, smells, and cultures of a great many places, if even for only a few fleeting days. I rode on trains, buses, cars, planes, subways, bicycles, and just about every other mode of transportation you could envision, in pretty much every condition imaginable
There’re so many beautiful memories I have gained throughout my traveling years. One of the best ones was my trip to Bosnia 3 years ago in September 2012. Alhamdulillah, thanks to the Almighty, being in Bosnia and Herzegovina  was a dream come true. It was a childhood dream of mine to come over to Bosnia. Since i was little, i watched through the television screen Bosnia war that happened there, and now its 20 years after the war, how life would be like in Bosnia? How do you go on after living through hell? This was the question i asked myself again and again.


Photo : 6th september 2012. Overlooking the Neretva River and the Old Town of Mostar


Photo : got a kissed from a nanny!!! :')
And alhamdulillah, Allah has given me the opportunity to fulfill my dreams and most of the questions lingered in my mind were answered throughout the journey in Bosnia. And how could i forget the moment of kissing a beautiful Bosniak little baby; She stared at me from afar and her sister brought her to me, and let me kiss this adorable,  and I was also  kissed by a lady who reminds me of my grandma since they shared the same name, Zainab. It broke me to tears at heart because I was terribly missing  my beautiful grandmother and little nephew, Izz  back  at home. There’s so much love in Bosnia’s atmosphere.



Photos : Meanwhile in Sarajevo city, we met this little baby who stared and smiled at us from afar and her sister brought her to us. So, i gave her a kiss!  (September 2013)

I smiled every time I reminisced  the time my friend and I went on hiking in Plitvice National Park, Croatia with baju kurung. Believe it or not, we forced ourselves to walk on the rocky routes just to get the same view that we saw in Google, and we did it! During this summer break, my friend, Farhana and I experienced fasting in Ramadhan and Eid away from our family. So, we decided to do 'Salam Perantauan' shot for our beloved family in friends on the top view, after enjoying a fabulous panoramic view of Plitvice lakes.



Photos : 3rd September 2012, berbaju kurung for hiking, there’s nothing impossible for Gadis Melayu!


Traveling also pushes one’s limit. When you have the opportunity to do stuff  that scares you…like jumping out of a plane; it’s about  conquering your fears, no matter how great or small, that generally get further in life than those who settle for the safety confines of mediocrity.  It’s about pushing your boundaries.

Sometimes, simply ask yourself “What’s the worst that could REALLY happen?” For me, I had a fear of both skydiving and bungy jumping – I mean, seriously: with skydiving your life is in the hands of another person, wearing a backpack, falling 15,000 feet from the sky.  ALL KINDS OF STUFF could go wrong!  And bungy jumping – forget about it.  Your life hangs in the balance by a glorified rubber band.

Fortunately, I took the time to research both experiences.  Although the ‘worst that could happen’ was that I could die, I realized that I was more likely to get injured in the car on the WAY to either event than when actually doing them.  I weighed the pros and cons and decided that the risk of both adventures weren’t nearly as big as I had made it out to be in my mind. More often then not, the worst case isn’t life threatening or even that bad; also, it’s usually temporary, while the payoff from the risk could be monumental and life-changing. 


Photo : BUNGEE JUMPING at AJ Hackett Bungy New Zealand - New Zealand's Highest Bungy Jump, 134m





 Photo : SKYDIVING at Kunovice Airport at 13000ft with the one and only female pro tandem pilot in
Czech republic, Milka


And imagine this, you're in 20 meters below the ocean's surface, gliding silently through the water. The only sound you can hear is you slowly breathing in and out. And suddenly, you're face to face with a group of sharks, or manta  rays  and you can't even swim faster. They just swallow you with no mercy.

Hahhh, just kidding!

Sounds pretty amazing, doesn't it? It's even more remarkable to experience scuba diving first hand in the deep blue see and witness colorful corals and the beauty below the surface. Subhanallah, Glorified Him who creates outstandingly beautiful creatures!



Photo :(30th August 2013)  Together with Atie and YC, we're proudly flying the Malaysian flag at the depth of 12m , in remembering of the 56th Independence Day
Say all that not to brag or gloat, this entry was just to show how passionate I am in traveling. I travel because I can’t stay still. I need to be constantly exploring and learning about the world. Since I began traveling, I’ve become less selfish and I’m more interested in understanding why the world is the way it is and how I can do my bit to make it a slightly better place for those less fortunate.Travel has made me more empathetic, less self-centered, and more confident. I’m independent and love backpacking by myself, and I can make friends anywhere.
Learning more about this globe we live on is what motivates me to travel and there’s no better way to do that than the experience things firsthand. My goals in traveling are to learn and understand more about this world and to have amazing experiences.My present goal with travel is simple: to soak up as many experiences as possible that serve as constant reminders that I’m alive and to be grateful for this life because it is so brief.
I’m motivated by these small, special moments that gather together when each is exciting in its own way, such as a good laugh with the kids, the excitement of seeing a new flower, the surprise from the beauty of nature. My goals are discovering new cultures, making new friends, meeting new people, having new challenges and just to tap into new adventures.
I prefer to select destinations that are less travelled.

When you are thinking about what to do with your upcoming break or future in general, don't just think about which box you can check off on the list of things to do in medical school or in life. Draw your own  box! Find a way to leverage your passion into a life experience that you can grow from. If that's travel, GO TRAVEL . BREAK OUT OF YOUR SHELL!



 Photos :  Family photos taken  with the school kids in Granada, Spain; somewhere in January 2010.


That is why traveling is known to provide people with a whole new perspective, whether that means no longer sweating the small stuff or promising to get out there and meet new people upon returning home. Those who have left their comfort zone and headed for a foreign land have done the right thing; there is nothing like a trip to make you a new man who has no choice but to fend for himself. Whether alone, with a partner, or in a group, your development surely speeds up when you're abroad. Don't let fear or insecurity stop you from trying new things. Believe in yourself. Do what you love.
If you're a passionate knitter of hats, DO THAT (then give them away to kids who are bald from chemo). If it's research, by all means research till your blue in the face! Volunteer in a hospital or research WHILE you travel (abroad programs). Be innovative with it, be creative, but most importantly... do it. If you are in love with what you are doing, it will show through to the people that matter. Cliche yes, but no less true.




Photos : Impromtu  hiking trip with Hradec Kralove medical students to Snežka Hora, the highest mountain in Czech Republic


There’s a big world out there, and we can choose to spend our limited time trying to see it and doing things we enjoy, or we can spend time accumulating material things and doing things that don’t make us happy. I also like to think that we can choose to live within the comfortable bubble that we know, or we can choose to experience how life has manifested across the globe and personally grow as part of the process. This doesn’t mean you need to drop everything and travel for the rest of your life; it simply means that if you’re interested in travel, you can make it happen by adjusting your priorities.



Photos :worth  a selfie with beautiful background of the city of Kotor, Montenegro , 2014

Insyaallah, in 10 to 15 years ahead, I’m imagining myself as a volunteer doctor someday, working somewhere in the midst of armed conflict, epidemics and natural disaster. I’m praying hard so that Allah will choose me to serve as a doctor in Palestine, Syria or  any places where children are severely malnourishes and large segments of population are denied any form of health care. Insyaallah.

No comments:

Post a Comment